Hot in the news today, Leroy Viamille CEO of Mills Realty has structured a deal and sold an old liquor store in Rogers Park Chicago at 1930 W. Chase to a firm Bob Kingsley, owner of 420 Capital Management LLC to create a marijuana dispensary called Green Gate Compassion Center.
The dispensary to sell “legally” prescribed medical marijuana to patients with debilitating Illnesses and disturbing medical issues find its new home in Rogers Park.
Construction has begun and structural renovations to the former corner pantry and liquor store with the goal of creating a Compassion Center. Compassion centers are places for patients who have qualifying conditions to obtain medical marijuana as allowed by the new Illinois Laws.
The state of Illinois has already approved Kingsley to open a dispensary within the Rogers Park Township, which includes Rogers Park and portions of West Ridge.
Kingsley, he plans to spend on a very advanced security system for the 2,500-square-foot building, including cameras, smart sensors, secured entrances and exits and key fobs to obtain passage into the facility.
Only people with prescriptions are allowed to enter the building, and none of the product can be consumed on the premises, including the parking lot.
Kingsley said he’s “very excited” at the prospect of bringing medical cannabis to Rogers Park.
“It’s all an opportunity to give back to the community, and that’s why I’m pushing so hard,” Kingsley said. “Am I confident? Almost dying three times, having two transplants, I can only be confident — there’s no other way to look at it.”
Alderman Moore said the camera views would capture “every inch” of the building and parking lot. The system will also keep a history of traffic inside and outside the facility.
The cameras would be hooked up to a live feed monitored by state police, Moore said.
I think to myself, who will be the first to make the news for the stupid criminal of the week for trying to attempt to break into the secured fortress.
In addition, he said he planned to hire off-duty deputies from the Cook County Sheriff’s Department to keep the facility safe.
A “high-grade security vault” would hold the store’s inventory and cash, with cash being picked up “on at least a daily basis” in an armored car from a gated employees-only area, Moore said.
The Big Deal
A majority of Americans have thought medical pot should be legal since the late 1990s — and a majority now support recreational legalization as well.
With that caveat about research in mind, here are 21 of the medical benefits — or potential benefits — of marijuana.
- Weed can be used to treat Glaucoma.
- It may help reverse the carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improve lung health.
- It can help control epileptic seizures.
- It also decreases the symptoms of a severe seizure disorder known as Dravet’s Syndrome.
- A chemical found in marijuana stops cancer cells from spreading in the lab.
- It may decrease anxiety.
- THC may slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The drug eases the pain of multiple sclerosis.
- Other types of muscle spasms could be helped too.
- It lessens side effects from treating hepatitis C and increases treatment effectiveness.
- Marijuana treats inflammatory bowel diseases, including Crohn’s disease.
- It relieves arthritis discomfort.
- It keeps you skinny and helps your metabolism.
- While not really a health benefit, marijuana spurs creativity in the brain.
- Pot soothes tremors for people with Parkinson’s disease.
- Marijuana helps veterans suffering from PTSD.
- Marijuana protects the brain after a stroke.
- It might protect the brain from concussions and trauma.
- It can help eliminate nightmares.
- Weed reduces some of the awful pain and nausea from chemo and stimulates appetite.
- Marijuana can help people trying to cut back on drinking.